Fellow's Benefits Information

All information regarding benefits pertains to fellows appointed as clinical fellows, not fellows appointed as faculty.

Benefits for Clinical Fellows: Frequently Asked Questions

*Hopkins Benefits: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/som/offices/registrars/pdoc_benefits.html
Updated: 4/12/19

Q: How do I set up my 403b?
  • You can choose between Fidelity, TIAA, Vanguard
  • Hopkins Benefits website >> 403B Retirement Plan
  • If you are receiving salary through a grant, reach out to the payroll office each year to find out how much of your paycheck is “salary” vs “stipend” because you can only put “earned wages” into 403B.
  • Payroll (443-997-5828), website: http://ssc.jhmi.edu/hr_payroll/index.html
Q: Do I have disability insurance? How does it work?
  • Everyone has disability automatically. It is basic. Details are on Benefits page, but essentially the basic coverage will pay ~$3000 per month after you have been disabled for 90 days. This does not cost anything. For most subspecialists this is likely inadequate coverage should you no longer be able to practice your chosen specialty because of disability. You can opt to increase the amount you would get paid if you were disabled by paying some money each month for this additional coverage.
  • You can find and purchase additional disability insurance from an outside company of your choosing for better coverage.
Q: How do I enroll in the life insurance plan?
  • All fellows are automatically enrolled in a policy worth $100,000.
  • Like disability, you can get separate outside policy if you’d like. If you have dependents, it may be beneficial to consider additional coverage, but this is a personal decision.
Q: Are there any benefits for parents regarding childcare?
Q: Do I have to go to UHS for my care?
  • No. You can go to any provider but may be paying deductible and/or copay, so check first. You can always access UHS for an urgent appointment. However, you can find and go to primary care doctor or other physician without seeing UHS.
Q: Does my EHP cover annual eye exam nor glasses/contacts once per year?
  • As a post-doctoral fellow you are entitled to one free routine eye exam by an optometrist at any Wilmer location per academic year (July - June). This is NOT part of EHP (your health insurance) and this is NOT part of EyeMed (your vision insurance). To schedule your appointment just call 410-955-5080. When you make your appointment make sure to indicate you are a fellow and this is for your free exam for the year. When you go to your appointment make sure to bring your ID and again tell them your are a fellow and this is your free eye exam. If they seem confused you can show them the information from the link below. If for some reason they bill you, forward the bill to the benefits office (410-955-3872) do not try to send it to EHP they will not help you.

    EyeMed provides vision insurance which helps cover contacts and glasses. There is no cost directly to you for this insurance. They will also cover routine eye exams at in network providers (NOT Wilmer).
Q: Why doesn’t the university pay for my child’s health insurance?
  • Determined by each department/division, not the University.
Q: If I am being paid by a T32, how do I figure out how much extra withholdings to request on my paycheck so I don’t get penalized by the IRS?
  • Contact your personal tax advisor
  • Can look at paystub online and contact payroll help desk and/or your department’s financial administrator
  • Can also reach out to the tax office for additional help: tax@jhu.edu
Q: Do I have access to mySupport? And what is it?
Q: Do I have access to the HSC emergency fund?
  • No. It only covers residents. Residents are paid by the hospital and JHH is where the money for the fund comes from. Fellows are paid by departments. If you need assistance with emergency funds you can either email CFC and we can connect to resources. Or you can contact your fellowship program director.

Legal Services

Parenting Resources

Johns Hopkins Global Travel Assistance Program

Getting ready for tax season!

If you are paid with a stipend, your federal and state taxes are likely not withheld from your paycheck (check your paystubs: my.jh.edu HR ESS). If this is the case, you will need to make quarterly tax payments to avoid a penalty (Penalty only applies if you underestimate your taxes by 10% or more). Estimated taxes are due by the end of 4 tax periods.

Tax Periods:

  • January 1 to March 31 – Due April 15
  • April 1 to May 31 – Due June 15
  • June 1 to August 31 – Due September 15
  • September 1 to December 31 – Due January 15 of the following year

Here is an overall guide from the IRS.

How to pay Maryland estimated taxes:

  1. Maryland quarterly tax calculator
  2. You can pay your quarterly taxes online on the Maryland iFile website, register here and fill out form 502D.

How to pay Federal estimated taxes:

  1. Figuring out how much you owe (Calculator)
  2. Pay online using Form 1040-ES (select "estimated tax" as reason for payment)

Click a calendar selection to expand it.